3 Critical Steps To Take If You Think Your Dog’s Been Poisoned

November 26, 2016

bigstock-male-veterinarian-examining-gr-99680699

All dog owners know how curious and hungry our pooches can be, almost 24/7. If you happen to realize that your four-legged friend has ingested some foods or chemicals that are poisonous to canines, it is crucial to remain calm and take the following 3 steps:

1. Examine The Surroundings

The first thing you need to do is to carefully and safely remove any poisonous residue from your dog’s reach.

Once this is done, put the remaining hazardous material or substance in some kind of a container so you can bring it to the veterinary hospital. This way the vets can be sure how to react.

You should also collect the substance that your dog may have vomited up so your vet can use it for sample testing.

2. Transport Your Dog Safely To Your Vet

Transporting a healthy dog can sometimes be rather difficult and overwhelming for both you and your pet, but handling an ill pet requires extra precautions.

The crucial tip here is – don’t go alone.

If you can, find someone to drive the car so you can watch your poisoned dog in the back.

3. DON’T Induce Vomit

Far too many dog owners think they should induce vomit immediately after their pet has ingested something poisonous.

This is wrong.

Forcing your canine friend to vomit can actually cause more harm than good, especially if you don’t do it properly or you do it at the wrong time.

NOTE: If you suspect your dog has ingested poisonous substances, you should immediately take your pet to the nearest veterinarian. If you don’t have the means to do so, you need to contact your nearest vet for the necessary info about the potential toxins your pooch may have been exposed to.

Others are reading

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
wpDiscuz