5 Foods That Might Look Ok To Give To Your Dog But Are Actually Not

April 21, 2017

Foods

We all know that chocolate is a HUGE no-no for your pooch as it can kill him/her almost instantly, but many dog owners think this cocoa treat is the only thing their four-legged friend shouldn’t be eating.

In that name, here we have 5 everyday foods that are surprisingly (to some) toxic for your beloved doggo.

1. Onions, Garlic, Leeks, Chives

All these veggies are extremely healthy for us humans, but unfortunately they are bad news for your canine friend as they contain a bunch of chemicals (including organosulfides) that will wreck your dog’s body.

Dogs that have eaten garlic, onions, leeks or chives might experience vomiting and other gastrointestinal distress, while the compounds in onions can destroy red blood cells, causing potentially lethal anemia.

2. Foods That Contain Artificial Sweetener

Any product that contains Xylitol, the most wide-spread artificial sweetener, should be kept away from your pooch. Xylitol is essentially a sugar alcohol that will rapidly decrease your dog’s blood sugar levels, which can cause seizures or even organ failure.

3. Raisins And Grapes

Raisins and grapes might be on the margin of being dangerous to canines, but we decided to include these as well.

Sometimes, dogs can eat raisins and grapes without any ill effect, but some canines are hit hard by the toxicity in grapes and raisins and end up suffering from digestive distress or even kidney failure.

4. Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts are soooooo delicious, but unfortunately these bad boys are not good for your doggo. Some of the symptoms caused by Macadamia nuts ingestion include:

  • weakness in their legs
  • apparent pain
  • tremors

Symptoms typically fade away after 48 hours and although these nuts are not exactly fatal to canines, you should make sure Fido doesn’t get his paws on these delicious snacks.

5. Uncooked Bread

Your dog should steer clear from any uncooked or undercooked dough with live yeast. Should your pooch ingest it, the bread dough will continue to rise inside your dog’s stomach, which can be rather uncomfortable for your pet, but more importantly – it can cause a lot of organ damage.

Also, active yeast can result in producing alcohol, which is can lead to alcohol poisoning.

Others are reading

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar

wpDiscuz