Cooked bones for dogs should be a big NO-NO.
Not only that – cooking also makes bones less nutritious.
In their recent Consumer Update, the FDA provided us with a complete lists of all the risks associated with giving your canine friend cooked bones to eat.
Here are just some of them.
Mouth injuries in dogs can be rather bloody, messy and painful, and will often require a trip to see your veterinarian. These injuries usually include:
- Broken teeth
- Tongue cuts
- Lower jaw injuries
- Gum injuries…
Bone Gets Stuck In Esophagus Or Windpipe
These cases can be rather dangerous so if you notice your doggo is gagging, has trouble breathing, or trying to bring the bone back up, make sure you take a trip to the nearest veterinarian immediately.
Bone Gets Stuck In Stomach Or Intestines And Causes Blockage
Cooked bones for dogs can be quite dangerous even when your doggo ate them and they went down just fine.
The thing is that the bone may be too big to pass out of the stomach and into the intestines. These situations can be pretty ugly and – depending on the bone’s size – your furry friend may even need surgery or upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.
Constipation Due To Bone Fragments
If you decide to give Fido cooked bones, the poor thing can also have a hard time passing the bone fragments because they’re very sharp, which means they might not only scrape the inside of his large intestine, these bone fragments may even injure his rectum as they move along.
Peritonitis is a nasty and a rather difficult-to-treat bacterial infection of the abdomen that usually caused when bone fragments poke holes in your pet’s stomach or intestines. Again, your dog will need an emergency visit to your nearest vet.