We all know that chocolate is a HUGE no-no for your pooch as it can kill him/her almost instantly, but many dog owners think this cocoa treat is the only thing their four-legged friend shouldn’t be eating.
In that name, here we have 5 everyday foods that are surprisingly (to some) toxic for your beloved doggo.
1. Onions, Garlic, Leeks, Chives
Dogs that have eaten garlic, onions, leeks or chives might experience vomiting and other gastrointestinal distress, while the compounds in onions can destroy red blood cells, causing potentially lethal anemia.
2. Foods That Contain Artificial Sweetener
Any product that contains Xylitol, the most wide-spread artificial sweetener, should be kept away from your pooch. Xylitol is essentially a sugar alcohol that will rapidly decrease your dog’s blood sugar levels, which can cause seizures or even organ failure.
3. Raisins And Grapes
Raisins and grapes might be on the margin of being dangerous to canines, but we decided to include these as well.
Sometimes, dogs can eat raisins and grapes without any ill effect, but some canines are hit hard by the toxicity in grapes and raisins and end up suffering from digestive distress or even kidney failure.
4. Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts are soooooo delicious, but unfortunately these bad boys are not good for your doggo. Some of the symptoms caused by Macadamia nuts ingestion include:
- weakness in their legs
- apparent pain
Symptoms typically fade away after 48 hours and although these nuts are not exactly fatal to canines, you should make sure Fido doesn’t get his paws on these delicious snacks.
5. Uncooked Bread
Your dog should steer clear from any uncooked or undercooked dough with live yeast. Should your pooch ingest it, the bread dough will continue to rise inside your dog’s stomach, which can be rather uncomfortable for your pet, but more importantly – it can cause a lot of organ damage.
Also, active yeast can result in producing alcohol, which is can lead to alcohol poisoning.
The only way your pooch is allowed to eat this snack is plain, air-popped, unsalted, unbuttered and in small amounts.
The thing is that high levels of fat and sodium that are typically found in popcorn can lead to dehydration in dogs, while obesity is also possible in the long run.
This one might also come as a huge surprise. Almost any type of dairy can be really bad for your four-legged friend.
Cheese, on the other hand, is a popular dog training treat and is ok in small amounts, however, too much cheese can lead to:
- Lasting gastrointestinal issues
Also, it is important to note that, much like it is the case with humans, some dogs might be more sensitive than others.
If your pooch REALLY likes cheese, do check with your vet first.