Although your dog is probably going berserk each time you give him/her food, imagine you are eating the exact same food every meal, every day, every week and every month… It is just not fair. And not only is it utterly boring, it is not healthy for your pooch to keep getting a nutritionally unbalanced diet.
Your beloved pet can benefit from homemade meals and treats in a number of ways, particularly if your canine friend suffers from:
- gastrointestinal sensitivity
- skin problems…
Simply treat your pet like you would any other member of your family. So, let’s check out these 3 homemade dog food recipes that contain nutritious and trusted ingredients.
1. Beef Stew For Dogs
Forget about canned dog food, this beef stew recipe is a much healthier alternative packed with fresh protein and many essential vitamins. Plus, it can be stored in your fridge for later use.
- 1 pound of beef stew meat
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/2 cup of carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup of green beans, diced
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of water or organic vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (for frying)
- Cook the sweet potato in a microwave for up to 8 minutes and set aside. It should be firm but tender.
- Slice the beef stew meat into smaller chunks and cook them for 15 minutes in vegetable oil over medium heat. Remove the beef chunks from the pan, don’t throw away the drippings.
- Dice the potato.
- Reheat the drippings over medium heat and add flour and water. Make sure you are whisking regularly. Once the thick gravy is formed, add the meat, sweet potato, carrots and green beans into the mix and stir to coat.
- Cook for another 20 minutes, or until the carrots are tender. Serve once cooled.
NOTE: Store remaining stew in the fridge for later consumption. It can last for up to 5 days.
2. Low Carb Chicken Jerky Strips
Don’t trust store-bought raw hides, instead make your pooch low carb homemade jerky strips in no time.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- NOTE: Make anywhere between 15 and 20 strips
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F.
- Trim the excess fat off the chicken breasts and cut the meat into 1/8 inch thick strips.
- Bake for up to 2 hours, or until the meat strips are dry and hard. Let the jerky strips cool down completely before serving.
3. Refreshing Frozen Banana Treats
This simple treat made from yogurt, banana and peanut butter will be a delicious form of refreshment for your furry friend, perfect for after long walks in the sun.
- 4 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 bananas, ripe, peeled & mashed
- NOTE: Make approximately eight 1-oz treats
- Make puree by blending all the ingredients together.
- Pour the puree into 4-ounce plastic cups. NOTE: You can also use ice trays or toddler popsicle trays.
- Freeze until firm.